Friday, December 10, 2010

GLOBAL PRAYER INITIATIVE OF HAITIAN CHURCHES

PRAY FOR HAITI DAY 8

GLOBAL PRAYER INITIATIVE OF HAITIAN CHURCHES
Theme Verse 2 Chronicles 7:14
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

A brief update on Haiti to assist you as you pray.
Haiti is experiencing turmoil in the wake of the elections. Thousands of protesters were out on the streets, erecting barricades and setting fires. They were furious that government-backed candidate Jude Celestin, the protege of President Rene Preval, apparently will go on to a runoff vote while Michel Martelly finished third in official results and is probably eliminated. The official preliminary results have law professor and former first lady Mirlande Manigat in first with 31.4 percent of the vote and Celestin next with 22.5. Martelly has 21.8 percent.

Yesterday I participated in a telephone conference with Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand’s Senior Advisor, Elana Broitman, who recently visited Haiti as a member of the Clyburn Codel, and was granted an opportunity to observe Haiti’s presidential election. Here are some of the problems that led to the protests: Voters names were not at the voting sites, voters were miss-informed, 35 polls were impacted by violence due to suspicion of fraud; 25-35% of voters were disenfranchised. Others reported that names of those who perished in the earthquake were stuffed in the ballots to name a few of the problems. The Provisional Electoral Council, known as the CEP will be recounting the votes in the next 10 days. Some were concerned about the trustworthiness of the CEP.

As you can see, Haiti has loads of problems and needs a lot of prayers. To prepare our heart for this challenge when we pray today; let us consider our third point on what not to do when repenting. Don’t minimize sin. This is how we minimize our sins: We say, “I will sin now and ask God to forgive me later” or “God knows my heart” and “God understands my situation so I’ll go ahead and sin and He’ll overlook it.” Others say, “if God did not want me to do it He would not put those desires in me or put me in that situation.” When you minimize your sins, you are saying God and His word are not important and have no value to you. If you have been minimizing sin you have to repent.

With U4 Him

Mullery Jean-Pierre
Pastor, Beraca Baptist Church

No comments:

Post a Comment